Client Accounting Director
Rochester / Syracuse / Virtual
We are looking for a high-energy, inspiring leader to join our crew in this exciting growth phase for our company! We are looking for someone who is passionate about developing and managing people, enjoys variety, loves to geek out to financial data, is all about continuous improvement and thinking outside the box. We are not like most companies. We do not believe in rigid structure and prefer instead to focus on hiring high-performing, dynamic, collaborative people who want to work together to get things done and build something great!
hiline is a tech-enabled accounting firm providing an array of cloud accounting services, including our Virtual CFO model. Our company mission is to Imagine a world where small and midsize businesses (SMBs) become the driving force that refuels the economy. We do this by helping today’s entrepreneurs get where they want to go faster by freeing them up to focus on what matters to them. To be the strategic partner for our clients. And to make it all possible, we are reimagining what the accounting industry can be while providing a premium customer experience for our clients.
Our company’s vision for our culture says it all – it is who we are, what we value and how we strive to show up every day:
- Win as a team, trust in the team
- Radical transparency and alignment
- Candid feedback, open and honest communication
- Customer-centric mindset, empathy for our clients
- Culture of inclusivity, empathy for our employees
The Client Accounting Director is a key leadership role within our unique operating model, hilineOS, that is focused on managing, developing and inspiring our high-performing crew to best serve our clients. The Client Accounting Director helps his/her squad to plan and execute work, resolve roadblocks on a daily basis and ensures the squad is working as effectively and efficiently as possible. The role also directly supports our Virtual CFO clients, serving as a trusted chief financial advisor by providing recommendations and sound financial advice on a regular basis. The position requires a mix of strong technical accounting/controller expertise, people management and development, problem solving skills, a consulting and customer-centric mindset, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge. Acting as a role model to the squad, the Client Accounting Director fosters motivation and upholds the company’s core values and brand. The success of the role is largely determined by the effectiveness and satisfaction of the client teams, as measured by operating performance metrics and customer Net Promoter Score (NPS).
Areas of Responsibility
Squad Leader/People Manager
- Lead and inspire a cross-functional squad, comprised of accounting, HR and tax resources.
- Manage and support squad members in their day-to-day servicing of clients and ensure the most valuable work is being prioritized, while maintaining internal control environment and adherence to company standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Conduct regular 1:1s with squad members to continuously coach, motivate, and provide feedback to drive their development/performance.
- Create environment of psychological safety where squad members are comfortable asking difficult questions and offering ideas.
- Lead and guide the squad through recurring, purpose-driven meetings as part of our operating model, hilineOS, which was inspired by the agile methodology.
- Execute on leadership’s strategy and offer ideas/suggestions up to leadership to inform strategy.
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve operations and enhance company SOPs.
- Collaborate with fellow Client Accounting Directors for thought partnership, problem-solving, creating standardization and partnering on initiatives/enhancements.
- Act as a role model to the squad, serving as an ambassador of our company’s brand, culture and core values.
Planning & Execution
- Set the near-term direction of the squad by planning and executing work that aligns with the company’s strategy.
- Support squad members in prioritization of work so that they can meet client/stakeholder expectations and focus on moments that matter, while maintaining a positive work-life balance.
- Maintain the squad’s backlog of work and prioritize effectively to meet the needs of stakeholders.
- Ensure that client issues and questions are resolved in a timely manner and escalated to the Managing Director and COO when needed.
- Proactively communicate with the Managing Director on squad issues, progress and metrics.
- Build and maintain an ongoing promoter relationship with clients.
- Cultivate a customer-centric mindset within the squad.
- Onboard new clients and ensure a positive customer experience throughout the process.
- Work with squad members on coordinating, preparing for and running client finance meetings.
- Identify consulting opportunities, enhance services and/or cross sell services for assigned clients based on interactions, inquiries and understanding of client needs.
- Understand and demonstrate ownership of clients’ full package of service offerings.
- Conduct quality review and analysis of monthly financial reporting before being distributed to clients.
- Oversee the squad during budgeting and forecasting process for clients.
- Be a technical resource and problem solver for squad members, helping to remove roadblocks and provide guidance on a regular basis.
- Serve as chief financial advisor for assigned Virtual CFO clients – meeting regularly to address client needs, provide financial planning and analysis support, stay up-to-date with ongoing business activities, fully understand business context and offer financial advice/recommendations.
- Maintain a working understanding of the cash position for clients, anticipating cashflow issues before they happen and alerting the client, and escalating to Managing Director and COO as needed.
- Responsible for understanding client business, industry and staying apprised of current events using social media, Google alerts, and other means available.
- Communicate with clients, business stakeholders and financial institutions on a regular basis.
- Represent the company and our clients in the management of banking relationships and/or dealing with investors.
- Understand and manage unit economics for clients.
- Perform in-depth financial analysis to gather insights, develop recommendations and make decisions.
- Lead and contribute to special projects at the request of the CEO, COO and Managing Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities
- 7+ years as a controller in corporate finance, public accounting, or consulting environment.
- 3-5 years’ experience in managing, coaching and developing team members.
- Must possess strong stakeholder management skills and a passion for client success.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to think outside the box, effectively problem solve and collaborate with others with an eye to potential solutions.
- Must be well organized, able to prioritize effectively and help others to prioritize, manage time and projects effectively.
- Commitment and ability to meet critical business deadlines.
- Tech-savvy and highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Capable of handling responsibilities beyond formal job duties.
Compensation & Benefits Summary
Full Time Position
Interested in Working with Us?
Use the contact form to apply, today!