Client Accounting Director
Rochester / Syracuse
We recently launched our new hiline brand and are looking for someone to join our crew in this exciting growth phase for our company! We are looking for a high-energy leader who is passionate about developing and managing people, enjoys variety, loves to geek out to financial data and is all about continuous improvement and thinking outside the box. We are not like most companies. We do not believe in rigid structure and prefer instead to focus on hiring intelligent, dynamic, collaborative people who want to work together to get things done and build something great!
Hiline, powered by Gardner & Capparelli, is a tech-enabled accounting firm providing an array of cloud accounting services, including our Virtual CFO model. We exist to help today’s entrepreneurs get where they want to go faster by freeing them up to focus on what matters to them. To be the strategic partner for our clients. And to make it all possible, we are reimagining what the accounting industry can be while providing a premium customer experience for our clients.
Our company core values say it all – it is who we are and how we show up every day:
Reputation Over Profits: Always do the right thing, be a good person.
Passion for Client Success: Love what you do. Treat your client’s business like your own.
Enjoyment and fun: Life’s too short not to enjoy it!
Hunger and humility: No matter the success we see in the future, we must remain growth driven and forward thinking.
Work-life Integration: An approach that creates more synergies between all areas that define ‘life’: work, home & family, community, personal well-being, and health.
The Client Accounting Director is a key leadership role within our company, that is focused on managing and developing our high-performing crew to best serve our clients. The Client Accounting Director helps to resolve roadblocks on a daily basis and ensures the team is working as effectively and efficiently as possible. The role also directly supports our Virtual CFO clients, serving as a trusted chief financial advisor by providing recommendations and sound financial advice on a regular basis. The position requires a mix of strong technical accounting/controller expertise, people management and development, problem solving skills, a consulting and customer-centric mind-set, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge. Acting as a role model to the team, the Client Accounting Director fosters motivation and upholds the company’s core values and brand. The success of the role is largely determined by the effectiveness and satisfaction of the client teams, as measured by operating performance metrics and customer Net Promoter Score (NPS).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage and support Client Accounting Managers in their day-to-day servicing of clients and monthly/quarterly/annual financial activities, while maintaining internal control environment and adherence to company standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Develop and coach Client Accounting Managers by providing continuous feedback and identifying areas of opportunity/improvement.
- Support the Client Accounting Managers in prioritization of work so that they can meet client expectations while maintaining a positive work-life balance.
- Be a technical resource and problem solver for team members, helping to remove roadblocks and provide guidance on a regular basis.
- Ensure that client issues and questions are resolved in a timely manner and escalated to the Managing Director of hiline and COO when needed.
- Conduct quality review and analysis of monthly financial reporting before being distributed to clients.
- Work closely with Client Accounting Managers on coordinating, preparing for and running finance meetings with clients.
- Oversee the team during annual budgeting and forecasting process for clients.
- Serve as chief financial advisor for assigned Virtual CFO clients – meeting regularly to address client needs, provide financial planning and analysis support, stay-up to date with ongoing business activities, fully understand business context and offer financial advice/recommendations.
- Understand and demonstrate ownership of clients’ full package of service offerings, including collaborating with internal teams on accounting, finance, human resources, payroll, and tax needs.
- Maintain a working understanding of the cash position for clients, anticipating cashflow issues before they happen and alerting the client and escalating to Managing Director of hiline and COO as needed.
- Responsible for understanding client business, industry and staying apprised of current events through the use of social media, Google alerts, and other means available.
- Identify consulting opportunities, enhance services and/or cross sell services for assigned clients based on interactions, inquiries and understanding of client needs.
- Communicate with clients, business stakeholders and financial institutions on a regular basis.
- Represent the company and our clients in the management of banking relationships and/or dealing with investors.
- Understand and manage unit economics for clients.
- Onboard new clients and ensure a positive customer experience throughout the process.
- Perform in-depth financial analysis to gather insights, develop recommendations and make decisions.
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve operations and enhance company SOPs.
- Lead and contribute to special projects at the request of the CEO, COO and Managing Director of hiline.
Knowledge, Skills and Other Abilities
- 7+ years as a controller in corporate finance, public accounting, or consulting environment.
- 3-5 years’ experience in managing, coaching and developing team members.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to think outside the box, effectively problem solve and collaborate with others with an eye to potential solutions.
- Must be well organized, able to prioritize effectively and help others to prioritize, manage time and projects effectively.
- Commitment and ability to meet critical business deadlines.
- Tech-savvy and highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Knowledge of QuickBooks Online is preferred.
- Strong understanding of tax codes and laws, CPA is preferred.
- Capable of handling responsibilities beyond formal job duties.
Compensation & Benefits Summary
Full Time Position
Interested in Working with Us?
Use the contact form to apply, today!