Rochester / Syracuse / Virtual
We are looking for a high-energy tax professional to join our crew in this exciting growth phase for our company! We are looking for someone who is passionate about providing tax services to customers, enjoys variety, is all about continuous improvement and thinking outside the box. We are not like most companies. We do not believe in rigid structure and prefer instead to focus on hiring high-performing, dynamic, collaborative people who want to work together to get things done and build something awesome!
hiline is a tech-enabled accounting firm providing an array of cloud accounting services, including our Virtual CFO model. Our company mission is to Imagine a world where small and midsize businesses (SMBs) become the driving force that refuels the economy. We do this by helping today’s entrepreneurs get where they want to go faster by freeing them up to focus on what matters to them. To be the strategic partner for our customers. And to make it all possible, we are reimagining what the accounting industry can be while providing a premium customer experience.
Our company’s vision for our culture says it all – it is who we are, what we value and how we strive to show up every day:
- Win as a team, trust in the team
- Radical transparency and alignment
- Candid feedback, open and honest communication
- Customer-centric mindset, empathy for our customers
- Culture of inclusivity, empathy for our employees
The Tax Senior plays a pivotal role in the way we service our customers, focused on servicing our accounting and tax customers as efficiently and effectively as possible. The position requires a mix of strong technical accounting/tax expertise, problem solving skills, a consulting and customer-centric mindset, and an insatiable thirst for knowledge. The Tax Senior fosters innovation and helps to uphold the company’s core values and brand. The success of the role is largely determined by the effectiveness and satisfaction of the customers they service, as measured by operating performance metrics and customer Net Promoter Score (NPS).
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Team Player & Supporter
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-functional squad members on tasks, offering technical expertise and support to deliver the absolute best outcomes.
- Participate in squad meetings as part of our operating model, hilineOS, which was inspired by the agile methodology.
- Collaborate with fellow tax members for thought partnership, problem-solving, creating standardization, partnering on initiatives/enhancements and staying up to date with industry/legislative changes.
- Support workflow management to help prioritize completion of tax work for customers.
- Continuously identify opportunities to improve operations and enhance company standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Asks questions, offers ideas and possible solutions.
- Exhibit our company’s brand, culture, and core values.
Execution & Accountability
- Own the day-to-day servicing of tax customers and ensure the most valuable work is being prioritized, while maintaining internal control environment and adherence to company standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Assist the squad leader with prioritization of tax matters.
- Successfully complete work that has been committed and assigned to during planned period.
- Prepare and review individual & business tax returns accurately for filing in a timely manner.
- Own customer multi-state compliance requirements as it relates to registration to do business, annual report filings, income tax, sales tax and payroll tax.
- Perform financial analysis to gather insights and identify tax saving opportunities
- Be a technical resource and problem solver for team members and provide guidance on a regular basis.
- Provide innovative tax planning, consulting & compliance expertise to customers.
- Lead and contribute to special projects at the request of the CEO, COO, and Head of Tax.
- Guide startups through early-stage decision making (i.e., entity structure, tax matters, paying owners, etc.)
- Identify potential/emerging areas of risk for customers as it relates to federal tax, multi-state state, international tax, legal matters, other compliance, etc.
- Interface with customer’s business stakeholders, attorney, financial advisors and/or investors.
- Understand customers’ industries to provide creative solutions unique to their situation.
- Communicate with customers, business stakeholders and financial institutions on a regular basis.
- Represent the company and our customers in the management of banking relationships and/or dealing with investors.
- Own customer satisfaction as it relates to tax matters.
- Keep in mind the ‘voice of the customer’ which can be both internal and external.
- Ensure that customer issues and questions are resolved in a timely manner and escalated to the Squad Leader, Head of Tax and COO when needed.
- Identify in-scope and out-of-scope customer work (based on current tier of service) and promote special projects/consulting opportunities with existing customer pool.
- Run customer meetings, both in-person and via video.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND OTHER ABILITIES
- 3-7 years in public and/or private accounting performing individual & business tax preparation.
- Active CPA is required, with strong understanding of tax codes and laws.
- Must possess strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Must be able to think outside the box, effectively problem solve and collaborate with others with an eye to potential solutions.
- Must possess strong stakeholder management skills, with a passion for customer success.
- Must have a passion for learning and general curiosity
- Must be detail-oriented, well organized, able to prioritize effectively, manage time and projects effectively.
- Commitment and ability to meet critical business deadlines.
- Professional confidentiality.
- Tech-savvy and highly proficient in Microsoft Excel.
- Sales and use tax experience is preferred.
- Software, technology, professional services and ecommerce experience is preferred.
- Capable of handling responsibilities beyond formal job duties.
Full Time Position
Interested in Working with Us?
Use the contact form to apply, today!